Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Cruise Control

I, by no stretch of the imagination, am no virgin to deployed holidays. After joining the Navy in 1997 as an undesignated airman e-nothing stationed in Japan, deployments had become second nature. Almost always away from home, and many times away from homeport, I had gotten used to being away from those I care about while serving my country. This year is no different being half way around the world and still eating the same processed roast turkey, mashed potatoes, cornbread dressing and salty turkey gravy. Back then, it was tolerable as I was away with my coworkers.. Men and women I'd gained a working relationship with over many many hours of sweat, blood and tears. Nowadays, being the only deployed member of my beloved 148th Fighter Wing Civil Engineering Fire Department leaves me a lot of time to myself.. I don't seem to fit in well with everyone.. I like to stay separated from the cliques that seem to form between the other units here.. Active guys hang with active guys.. philly guys with philly guys and so on and so forth… it's like trying to fit in on a baseball team.. You've got guys that have worked with each other for years.. I feel like an outsider.. I feel like I don't belong, like I'm the little brother who's just tagging along. Don't get me wrong… I'm not depressed, just on cruise control.

-Damien

2 comments:

Ace said...

Ah,nonsense! You all still share the similar brotherhood of being a firefighter. I must say though, I know how those cliques can be. Even while active for 7 years, there were always people who hung out with only certain people. Just one of those things I guess. But when it comes down to it, they'll be right there beside ya. Take care and get your ass back home, eh?!

Rebecca Foster said...

Damien, take care and glad you'll be back soon. Safe travels. And I often feel like an outsider, not for the same reasons, but my own reasons. It sucks. I'm sorry for your situation.